Monday, March 2, 2009

Music Increases Endurance!


I find that when I listen to music while running I'm more motivated to keep going longer than if i was just listening to my own gasp. How about you? a study done in late 08' that i stumbled upon yielded these same results! I had to find the article in ELY so i can only link you to the Sport discus Abstact page

http://scroll.lib.wsc.ma.edu:2282/login.aspx?direct=true&db=sph&AN=36083743&site=ehost-live

In the study, 30 people ran on treadmills once while listening to uptempo contemprary rock/pop songs and once without any music a week later. For almost all the runners it showed a 15% endurance drop!
Many runners already are aware of these effects, but finally some proof ! the article from Brunel university, (England) is published in the october 08 Journal of Sport and Exercise Physiology is you want to find it on your own.

My top bands to listen to
-Minus the Bear
-Coheed and Cambria
-Brand New
-The Recieving End of Sirens
-Offspring


If you comment- Let me know ifyou listen to music while working out, and if so what you listen to :-)

- Anne :-D

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this post,and I can completely relate! If I forget my iPod when I go for a run or go to the gym, I'm completely lost. I definitely need music to get me through, because it takes my mind off the exercise at hand and makes the time pass. I'll listen to anything upbeat, but Kenny Chesney is always a favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Running with my ipod is something that I deffinatly need to have. When I run to my ipod I feel that I zone out because whatever I am listening to pumps me up. Sometimes I forget that I am running and I can go for longer. When I dont have my ipod in I get bored and i am constantly looking down at the treadmill to see how far ive gone, what MPH im running at and how many calories ive burned. I feel like im not able to run as far because I get bored listening and watching whats going on around me so i deffinatly agree with what you are saying! I like to listen to the red hot chilli pepers, sometimes ill listen to rap because it pumps me up even though that wouldnt be my normal selection in music.

    ReplyDelete